Lenovo ThinkPad T580

Author Pick:

The Lenovo ThinkPad T580 (beginning at $1,089; $1,899 as looked into) is a decent business laptop with a brilliant keyboard, fast, great execution and a lot of security highlights. A dull display and inferior battery life are certainly impediments, the last of which can be overwhelmed with an expanded battery. In spite of two or three imperfections, the ThinkPad T580 is a decent system for business experts searching for a superior 15-inch laptop. 

Lenovo ThinkPad T580

Design

The T580 resembles a larger than average adaptation of other ThinkPad laptops with its matte-dark complete, bended island-style keys and silver marking on the deck and top. Obviously, it wouldn't be a ThinkPad without the notable red trim around the touchpad clickers and the red elastic stub between the G and H keys. 

Two solid metal pivots hold up a vast 15-inch display that is flanked by moderately thick bezels. The T580 is anything but a convertible yet its touch-screen display overlap back 180 degrees to lie totally level. Underneath the screen is an backlit keyboard with a number cushion and a little unique finger impression sensor. 

An unobtrusive stonewashed complete on the plastic case gives the T580 a top notch feel, however it doesn't face aluminum assembles. The T580's unassuming appearance won't gather much consideration, yet it's suitable for an office domain. 

The ThinkPad T580 isn't the most compact laptop given its extensive impression at 14.4 x 10 x 0.8 inches. While its 4.2-pound weight is reasonable, you won't have any desire to go on long excursions with the T580, particularly after you snap on the weighty expanded battery connection. For correlation, the HP EliteBook 840 G5 weighs 3.39 pounds and is 12.8 inches wide, and the Dell Latitude 5490 weighs 3.8 pounds and is 13.1-inches wide. Note, both of those laptops have 14-inch displays. 

Ports 

The ThinkPad T580 has a decent choice of ports. The left side houses a USB Type-C portfor charging, a Thunderbolt 3, a dock connector and a discretionary keen card peruser. 

Over on the correct side is an earphone/mic combo jack, a 4-in-1 SD card peruser, two dependably on USB 3.1 Type-A ports, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet and a Kensington bolt. 

Security and Durability 

The Thinkpad T580 is tried against 12 military-review confirmation tests and breezed through 200 in-house sturdiness tests. It can withstand outrageous conditions, for example, high dampness, low temperatures and introduction to sand. 

All things considered, we had fabricate quality issues with our audit unit. When I held the laptop with one hand, the correct side of the top lifted from the undercarriage, making a hairline hole between the deck and right edge. The left side didn't have a similar issue, which proposes the peculiarity is a quality control issue instead of a plan mistake. 

We don't point the finger at you for agonizing over online security nowadays. Luckily, the Lenovo ThinkPad T580 has a few helpful highlights to facilitate your feelings of trepidation, incorporating worked in Fast Identity Online (FIDO) validation that is intended to include an additional layer of security utilizing two-factor verification. 

Like different ThinkPads, the T580 incorporates a TPM 2.0 chip for equipment based security. It likewise accompanies a discretionary infrared (IR) camera for facial acknowledgment and an implicit webcam cover. 

Display 

The 15.6-inch touch screen display on the T580 is a noteworthy setback. The board is sharp and genuinely splendid, however it's not sufficiently brilliant. 

The trailer for Creed II looked dim and bleak. I additionally saw a slight purple tinge in white adjust that was much more discernible on news locales. 

In our lab tests, the ThinkPad T580 recreated just 68.3 percent of the sRGB shading array. We don't expect such a low appraising at this cost. For examination, the HP EliteBook 840 G5 (with a protection screen) created a great 119 percent of the shading range and the excellent laptop normal is 110 percent. The T580 topped the Dell Latitude 5490 (65 percent), a 14-inch business machine with an outstandingly poor display. 

The ThinkPad T580's display gets genuinely brilliant, averaging 288 nits. That is somewhat beneath the exceptional laptop classification normal of 301, yet it's significantly brighter than the Dell Latitude 5490(178) and the HP EliteBook 840 G5 (217). The HP EliteBook 840 G5 with the coordinated protection screen achieved a blinding 619 nits of brilliance. 

The touch-touchy board reacted rapidly to my swipes and taps. I sped through YouTube, looking through and choosing recordings easily. The display's matte complete viably battles reflections. 

Keyboard, Touchpad and Pointing Stick 

Lenovo has acquainted some incredible keyboards with its ThinkPad line throughout the years, and the T580 gets a similar treatment. The backlit keyboard with a number cushion is a joy to type on. Key presses have the perfect measure of springiness and each tap is welcomed with a remunerating "click." 

With a key travel of 1.7 millimeters - amidst our prescribed scope of 1.5 to 2 mm - and an activation power of 68 grams, I could type on the T580's keyboard for a considerable length of time without feeling distress. 

The number cushion makes an appreciated come back to the T580's keyboard, however it accompanies some things. The print screen, control, alt and bolt keys are for the most part undersize and the home column is balanced to one side. While I thought that it was just somewhat irritating, the moved keyboard could be a dealbreaker for a few. 

On the 10fastfinger.com test, I accomplished a marginally worse than average 103 words for each moment with my standard exactness of 95 percent. 

The T580's 3.9 x 2.6-inch touchpad is little and furthermore topsy turvy to one side. That didn't prevent me from performing Windows 10 signals, similar to right-clicking with a two-finger tap, hauling windows, and zooming in and out. In case you're not a fanatic of touchpads, you can move your cursor around utilizing the little red pointing stick. 

Sound 

The Lenovo T580's speakers sound great and got so boisterous that I needed to turn them down when tuning in to tunes in a little gathering room. The epic riff in the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" boomed with rich guitar work, and the profound musicality of the impacts pedal reminded me why it's such an unmistakable song of devotion.
The speakers likewise completed a great job displaying more pared-down music. When I tuned in to the Milk Carton Kids' acoustic track "New York," the couple's Simon and Garfunkel-esque harmonies were clear and forward. I never heard any twisting, notwithstanding when tuning in at most extreme volume. 

Execution 

Outfitted with an Intel Core i7-8650U processor, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB PCle-NVME OPAL2.0 M.2 SSD, the ThinkPad T580 fueled through a thorough workload without a blip. It had no issues running 20 Microsoft Edge tabs - six of which played YouTube recordings while another two ran Twitch streams at 1080p. I exchanged between tabs with no slack and didn't need to sit tight for recordings to change over to their most elevated conceivable resolution. 

The T580 performed splendidly in our lab tests, coordinating or beating different laptops in the superior laptop classification. In the Geekbench 4 test, which decides processor and memory execution, the ThinkPad T580 scored 14,384. That is a limited triumph over the HP EliteBook 840 G5 (14,178) with the same i7-8650U processor and a victory contrasted and the top notch laptop normal (12,655). 

The ThinkPad T580 took 17 seconds to copy 4.97GB of blended media records starting with one hard drive then onto the next. At a rate of 299 megabytes for every second, the T580 is speedier than the Dell Latitude 5490 (267 MBps) however it fell behind the lightning-snappy HP EliteBook 840 G5 (509 MBps). 

Lenovo ThinkPad T580

The standings were flipped in our Excel Macro test where the ThinkPad T580 coordinated 65,000 names with addresses in 1 moment and 5 seconds, beating the HP EliteBook 840 G5 (1:23) yet losing to the Dell Latitude 5490 (0:59). It helpfully crushed the normal rate of 1 minute and 33 seconds for premium laptops. 

The Thinkpad T580 isn't intended for gaming however it can play a few titles at low designs settings. Its incorporated Intel UHD Graphics 620 (upgradable to Nvidia GeForce MX150) ran the hustling computer game Dirt 3 at 61 outlines for every second. That is well over our 30-fps playability edge yet marginally beneath the 71 fps premium laptop classification normal. 

Battery Life 

Battery life on the Thinkpad T580 is a blended pack. On one hand, the T580 endured an inauspicious 5 hours and 52 minutes on our battery test (constant web surfing over Wi-Fi at 150 nits splendor) when arranged with the default 24Wh back battery. That is very nearly 2.5 hours shy of the top notch class normal (8:20) and an alarming 4 hours behind the Dell Latitude 5490 (9:54). It likewise misses the mark concerning the HP EliteBook 840 G5 with (6:17) or without (8:31) its capacity hungry security screen. 

We firmly prescribe you move up to the discretionary $39 75Wh back battery, which helped the T580's battery life to a remarkable 11 hours and 56 minutes. You can without much of a stretch traverse an entire day of utilization with the higher-limit battery, yet it comes to the detriment of versatility. The overwhelming round and hollow connection detectably stands out of the base of the laptop, including 0.5 pounds and making it a task to bear. 

Webcam 

The 720p webcam on the ThinkPad T580 is not too bad. It caught a splendid, all around uncovered picture of my face under delicate office lighting. Nonetheless, pictures need sharpness and display to an extreme degree an excess of clamor. There was a considerable measure of graininess in my face and I watched somewhat out of core interest. On a positive note, the webcam completed a great job of grabbing the shading in my dull blue shirt and the slight tinge of red in my sunburned cheeks. 

A security highlight Lenovo calls ThinkShutter gives you a chance to cover the webcam by sliding it to one side, obstructing its viewable pathway. It's a consoling element when it feels like our protection is under attack. 

Warmth 

The deck of the T580 stayed cool after we gushed a 1080p video for 15 minutes, however the underside can get a bit toasty. The touchpad stayed at an agreeable 84 degrees Fahrenheit, while the space between the G and H keys got up to 92 degrees. 

The underside of the laptop was the most sweltering region we recorded amid our warmth test. It achieved 105 degrees, which is significantly hotter than our 95-degree comfort limit. Luckily, we don't see numerous clients setting this notebook on their laps. 

Software and Warranty 

The ThinkPad T580 is light on preinstalled software. Rather than individual applications for each administration, Lenovo perfectly bundled its utility devices into Vantage, which gives clients a chance to change equipment settings, search for system updates, and run diagnostics examines. It likewise houses vital data about the laptop, for example, its serial and item numbers. One thing Lenovo could get rid of is the Vantage toolbar, an excess symbol that gives you a chance to alter settings. 

Vantage is a really helpful instrument, not at all like the unnecessary increases Microsoft conveys to the table, including Candy Crush Soda Saga, Bubble Witch 3 Saga and Disney Magic Kingdoms. 

The ThinkPad T580 accompanies a one-year warehouse or convey in guarantee. Perceive how Lenovo performed on our Tech Support Showdown and Best and Worst Brands of 2018 positioning. 

Configuration

Lenovo gives clients a scope of customization alternatives. The $1,796 unit ($1,889 on Amazon) I explored incorporated an Intel Core i7-8650U processor, 16GB of RAM, a 512GB PCle-NVME OPAL2.0 M.2 SSD and a broadened raise battery. The $2,379 top notch show knocks the display resolution from 1080p to 4K and parades a 1TB SSD. It likewise has an IR camera for facial acknowledgment login. 

A $1,089 section level model accompanies an Intel Core i5-8250U CPU, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB 7,200-rpm hard drive. On the other hand, you can modify your ThinkPad T580 and include additional items like a savvy card peruser, an IR camera, an backlit keyboard and an expanded battery.
Bottom Line
I'm torn on the Lenovo ThinkPad T580. For $1,796, you get a superb keyboard, solid execution and an extraordinary choice of ports. In any case, the display is very dull given the high cost, and the continuance from the standard battery is underneath normal; that is the reason we prescribe springing for the 6-cell barrel shaped battery in case you will invest a considerable lot of energy far from your desktop. 

On the off chance that you need a more compact laptop, consider the brilliant HP EliteBook 840 G5. The 14-inch machine has solid battery life, a phenomenal show and an attractive plan. In the event that you can extend your financial plan and needn't bother with a 15-inch display, at that point go for the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. This 5-star powerhouse has a portion of the T580's best characteristics however in a staggering, lightweight carbon-fiber case. Something else, the T580 is a strong alternative.

Previous
Next Post »

Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment or request the computer or laptop you want to review. ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon